Reconciliation action plan
Health Workforce Australia (HWA) supports and is firmly committed to reconciliation. We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as custodians of the land and respect and value the diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in Australia.
Our commitment to reconciliation is reflected in our inaugural Reconciliation Action Plan which was launched in April 2013. The Reconciliation Action Plan has helped HWA begin its reconciliation journey. It has also provided a strong platform for future plans, as we continue our efforts to close the gap on the health disparities between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and Australian people of other descents. The action plan focuses on:
To do this HWA recognises the importance of working in unity with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities, and will actively engage and develop partnerships with appropriate people, organisations and community groups to:
- Building relationships with key Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health stakeholders.
- Fostering respect and ensuring HWA staff have a cultural awareness and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
- Promoting and celebrating identified Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander events.
- Promoting, developing and supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness and engagement within HWA.
- Developing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment strategy for HWA, providing a strategic approach to employment and professional development for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The development of the Reconciliation Action Plan was led by a HWA working group. The group consulted with staff, the HWA Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workforce Advisory Committee, Reconciliation Australia and Reconciliation South Australia.
HWA’s intent in its first Reconciliation Action Plan is to focus internally in the first instance, with a view in subsequent plans to engage further with external stakeholders. This includes national Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations that have a mandate related to HWA’s area of interest and those that are not primary stakeholders of HWA.
Reconciliation Action Plan actions are reviewed regularly, with the Reconciliation Action Plan working group reporting to the HWA Executive and Reconciliation Australia.